AY Honor Animal Camouflage
Explore how and why animals alter their appearance so they are difficult to see. Choose from a variety of activities to demonstrates these concepts.
The Challenging Part
The most challenging requirement of this honor is probably this:
4. Do three of the following projects:
- a. Create a game based on animal camouflage and play it with a group.
- b. Write and tell a children’s story with an animal camouflage theme.
- c. Create a poster or display showing at least four different environments with animals that might be camouflaged in each.
- d. Create a display of pictures you have taken or drawn of 5 different animals in camouflage.
- e. Spend a minimum of ½ hour observing an animal which uses camouflage (in its natural setting, if possible) and write a report on your observations.
- f. Create a children’s book with illustrations about animal camouflage.
- g. Participate in a panel discussion about the use of animal camouflage giving specific examples and details and type of hiding it uses.
- h. Create a scale model creative animal and habitat showing how it can hide in nature.
- i. Make a scrapbook of the four animal camouflage types (see #3) and pictures of five animals in each of those types.
- j. Using multi-media, create a presentation about animal camouflage.
- k. Create your own project (submit it for approval from your Club Director before starting).