AY Honors/Animal Tracking
Maybe you've seen people "track" humans through the woods on TV by following invisible clues. It's a lot harder than TV makes it look! With this honor you can learn to see and interpret sign left by wildlife (and by humans), and make a collection of plaster castings of animal tracks. Open your eyes to another world!
Investiture Achievement Connection: This Honor is related to the Investiture Achievement requirements for Companion Nature Study which require "Make plaster casts of three different animal tracks". This Honor is a popular choice for the Level 1 Nature Honor required of Trail Companions.
The Challenging Part
The most challenging requirement of this honor is probably this:
4. Maintain a tracking station for at least three days by doing the following:
- a. Select a flat open space in some quiet place near your camp or home
- b. Smooth out ground, mud, sand, etc.
- c. Do not place food for animals at the tracking station. Learn why feeding wild animals is illegal in many jurisdictions.
- d. Check each day for tracks and identify what animal made it. Cast, sketch or photograph at least one of the tracks.